Running the race
For the past 2 Wednesday and Saturday evenings, I’ve been going for my RT – remedial training, for my IPPT.No thanks to ignorance on my part, I didn’t take any IPPT tests since my return from China in 2005. I’ve since paid the price for being charged and having to spend 2 days in a week for my RT sessions till early May.
Anyhow, as much as I dread going for RT, I’m beginning to see and feel the benefits of the 2-hour odd training. As bro Chee Keen shared with me, the first couple of times are a real drag as they disrupt our daily routine but once you embrace the disruption, it’s beneficial.
As most NS men will tell you, the 2.4km run is the bane of everyone. I dare say about 95% of us dread this final test of our physical fitness and it’s understandable why the trainers spend a good part of the training on running.
We’re usually grouped in 2 groups. Those whose age are under 30s and over 30s. I’m of course in the latter group. The younger guys usually start running first and we “chase” after them 10 seconds after they’d gone.
Now I’m slightly claustrophobic so I usually try to be one in front of the pack. I usually pace myself to the guy running before me.
Just last Saturday, I’m struck by this very simple Biblical principle.
Paul likens our Christian life as a race. “Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.” Hebrews 12:1-2
It is important whom we run the race with. If we have a desire for all things Heavenly but we spend our time with folks with dissimilar priorities, we’ll be affected by them in the long run.
When I run with my fellow RT mates who try their best, I find myself motivated by them to keep running and not to slack, however, when I do lag behind them and stay with the back of the pack, I’m not as motivated to do my best and invariably jog instead of running.
I thank God for the people He’d placed in my life that spurs me on in my Christian life. They are my mentors, pastor Mike and Lisa, my best buds, Kim Cheong, Hwee Min, and Ian. Jessie and the teens namely Catherine, Teresa, YuFei, Jeremy and the rest. I’m thankful for all of you and by His grace, let’s keep one another accountable and may we never falter in our walk with Him who matters most.
-malt


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home